About Us

The International Piano Competition “La Palma d’Oro” aims to promote musical culture and, in particular, to continue encouraging young people to study the piano.

The Association

Sulle Note Music Association

On the initiative of a group of music lovers, passionate about music in general and classical music in particular, the “SULLE NOTE” Music Association was founded in San Benedetto del Tronto (AP).

In an area rather lacking in places where people can enjoy both listening opportunities and active participation in musical practice, this initiative aims to bring young people closer to art, and especially to music.

With this spirit, the Sulle Note Association, together with other local initiatives supporting enthusiasts and beginners, decided to organize in the city of San Benedetto del Tronto the International Piano Competition “LA PALMA D’ORO”, offering prizes and scholarships for the winners.

Teatro Comunale Concordia

Home of the “La Palma D’Oro” Piano Competition since its very first edition, the historic Teatro Comunale “Concordia” of San Benedetto del Tronto is rich in history, with roots dating back to the early 19th century.

Built in 1827

312 numbered seats

Stalls 258 – Gallery 54

The History of the Concordia

The History of Teatro Concordia

Teatro “Concordia” officially began as a civic project during a meeting held in the council chamber on 28 July 1827, organized by the local Philharmonic Association. This gave shape to an idea that the members of the society had been developing for some time.

The completed theatre was given the name “Concordia”, meaning harmony, as it symbolized the reconciliation of several local families who had been involved in bitter disputes for years, as well as the renewed peace with the nearby town of Grottammare.

For many seasons, important works were staged on its stage, especially in the field of opera, featuring composers who were highly regarded at the time. The famous tenor from Fermo, Ludovico Graziani, made his debut there, together with his brother Francesco, a baritone. In 1843, the celebrated soprano Enrica Morelli also performed there, and after her performance of Lucia di Lammermoor, she was accompanied back to her lodging by a jubilant crowd carrying torches and celebrating enthusiastically.

Only a few years later, however, the theatre had to close for restoration works, which began in 1845 and continued until the end of 1849.

As the town theatre, it continued to be used occasionally, following the administrative events of different periods. The theatre was occupied by troops during the years of Italian Unification and was probably used again at the beginning of the First World War.

The theatre regained popularity at the beginning of the twentieth century, although it faced competition from summer performances held at the Bathing Establishment and from the growing success of cinema at the Cinema-Theatre Nettuno. However, a period of stagnation and near abandonment followed because of the First World War. A letter from 1919 by the caretaker Paolo Paris reveals that the theatre was used by the military command to house prisoners of war, resulting in the destruction of much of the stage equipment and furnishings.

Following the bombings of 27 November 1943, Teatro Concordia suffered severe damage. Restored and almost completely redesigned in the audience area, it reopened at Christmas 1947, mainly as a cinema, under the new name “Pomponi”, after the surname of its manager. Even in this new form, theatrical performances continued to be held.

Various companies succeeded one another in carrying out the restoration works, and great commitment was shown by all those involved so that the city could finally regain its theatre.

The importance of these works was also demonstrated by the support of the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Ascoli Piceno, which contributed to the supply and installation of stage machinery, wings, curtains, and lighting systems.

On 30 April 2008, Teatro Concordia was finally returned to the city.